As the summer season descends upon India, the scorching heat prompts millions of travelers to seek respite in the country’s most enchanting destinations. From the majestic mountains of the North to the serene beaches of the South, India offers a plethora of choices for summer vacationers. In this article, we will explore some of the most visited travel destinations in India during the summer months, delving into their histories and the reasons behind their popularity.
- Shimla, Himachal Pradesh – Nestled in the lap of the Himalayas, Shimla has been a beloved summer retreat since the British colonial era. Once the summer capital of British India, Shimla’s history is reflected in its charming architecture, Victorian-era buildings, and churches. The cool climate, lush green landscapes, and breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks make it an alluring destination for tourists seeking respite from the sweltering heat in the plains. Visitors can indulge in activities like trekking, paragliding, and exploring the bustling Mall Road, making Shimla a timeless favorite among travelers.
- Manali, Himachal Pradesh – Surrounded by towering mountains and dense forests, Manali is another popular summer destination in Himachal Pradesh. Steeped in Hindu mythology, this region is believed to be the abode of the ancient sage Manu. Adventure seekers flock to Manali for its thrilling opportunities in river rafting, mountaineering, and skiing (in winters). Moreover, the tranquil ambiance of the Beas River, the vibrant Tibetan monasteries, and the picturesque Rohtang Pass further add to the allure of Manali.
- Darjeeling, West Bengal – Known as the “Queen of the Hills,” Darjeeling in West Bengal is a captivating hill station that boasts of lush tea gardens and panoramic views of the Kanchenjunga, the world’s third-highest peak. During the British era, Darjeeling served as a summer resort for British officials seeking relief from the Indian summer. Today, visitors come here for a glimpse of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (Toy Train), stunning sunrise views from Tiger Hill, and to experience the serenity of its many monasteries.
- Ooty (Ootacamund), Tamil Nadu – Nestled in the Nilgiri Hills, Ooty exudes colonial charm and is fondly referred to as the “Queen of Hill Stations.” Its cool climate and verdant landscapes attract travelers from across the country. The Nilgiri Mountain Railway, another UNESCO World Heritage site, offers a delightful journey through picturesque landscapes. Boating on the serene Ooty Lake and exploring the vibrant Botanical Gardens are among the top activities that draw tourists to this summer paradise.
- Goa – While Goa remains a popular destination throughout the year, it experiences a significant surge in visitors during the summer months. The allure of golden sandy beaches, vibrant nightlife, and a laid-back atmosphere attracts both domestic and international travelers. Once a Portuguese colony, Goa’s history is reflected in its churches, old forts, and colorful houses. Water sports, beach parties, and the unique blend of Indian and Portuguese cultures make Goa an exciting and diverse vacation spot.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands – For those seeking an island paradise, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal are an ideal choice. With pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and rich marine life, this archipelago is a haven for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. The Cellular Jail in Port Blair, a reminder of India’s struggle for independence, also attracts history buffs. The islands offer various water-based activities, including snorkeling, scuba diving, and exploring the fascinating coral reefs.
Why these places are most visited during summer vacation –
The popularity of these destinations during the summer vacation can be attributed to their pleasant weather and scenic beauty. Many parts of India experience extreme heat during summers, and the cooler temperatures in these hill stations provide much-needed relief. Moreover, the picturesque landscapes, recreational activities, and opportunities to immerse in history and culture add to the allure of these destinations. Whether it’s a family vacation, a romantic getaway, or an adventure-filled trip, these summer travel destinations in India have something to offer to every traveller.